Sydney’s first major bus lane was introduced in 1992 on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. More than 90 kilometres of bus lanes are now in place throughout the metropolitan area.
Bus lanes are specially marked lanes that can only be used by buses, taxis, hire cars, emergency vehicles, motorcycles and bicycles. They are located on roads which have high frequency bus services.
Bus only lanes are a special form of bus lane restricted to buses. Examples of bus only lanes include the Liverpool to Parramatta T-way route in south western Sydney and the North-West T-way that operates between Parramatta and Rouse Hill.
Sydney metropolitan bus lane locations
Major metropolitan bus lanes include:
- Parramatta Road from Leichhardt to Broadway
- Warringah Freeway, North Sydney and Military Road, Neutral Bay
- Oxford Street, Darlinghurst and the Moore Park Busway
- The M2 Motorway - Bus Only Lane (taxis and hire cars permitted eastbound between Windsor Road and Beecroft Road)
- Holker Street, Homebush Bay
- Elizabeth, George and York streets, Sydney
- Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation, Balgowlah and Manly Road, Balgowlah
- Fairford Road from Gow Street to Stacey Street, Bankstown
- Victoria Road from Weaver Street to Hepburn Avenue, Gladesville
- Victoria Road from Park Street to Patricia Street, Rydalmere
- Victoria Road from Terry Street to The Cresent, Rozelle (will operate from Monday 14 December 2009)
Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA) bus lanes
Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA) bus lanes include:
- Church Street northbound on approach to Victoria Road intersection
- Station Street northbound from eastern bus layover to Civic Place
- Smith Street northbound from Macquarie Street to Phillip Street
- Smith Street southbound from Macquarie Street to Darcy Street
- Argyle Street westbound from Marsden Street to O’Connell Street
Bus and bus only lane
- Pitt Street southbound from Great Western Highway to Argyle Street
Bus only lanes
- Argyle Street westbound from Church Street to Marsden Street and O’Connell Street to Pitt Street
- Argyle Street eastbound from Church Street to Pitt Street
- Pitt Street southbound from Argyle Street to Great Western Highway
- Smith Street southbound from Darcy Street to Hassall Street
- Station Street northbound from Parramatta Transport Interchange to eastern bus layover
- Smith Street northbound from Civic Place to Macquarie Street
- Park Parade eastbound from Westmead Railway Station to Pitt Street
Church Street northbound, North Parramatta
- Grose Street to Albert Street
- Albert Street to Barney Street
- Barney Street to North Rocks Road
Bus only lane
- The Junction shopping precinct access road to Briens Road
Windsor Road - Winston Hills to Northmead
- Churchill Drive, Winston Hills to Fletcher Street
- Churchill Drive eastbound from Yarrabee Road to Windsor Road
Victoria Road - Parramatta to Ermington
Bus lanes and bus early start (B signal)
- Victoria Road westbound at off-load ramp from James Ruse Drive
- Victoria Road westbound opposite to entry of University of Western Sydney Rydalmere campus
- Victoria Road eastbound from Spurway Street to Kissing Point Road
- Victoria Road westbound from Patricia Street to Park Road
Pennant Hills Road, Carlingford
Bus only lanes and early start (B signal)
- Pennant Hills Road northbound on approach to Jenkins Road
- Pennant Hills Road southbound on approach to Marsden Road
Newcastle bus lane locations
- Hunter Street, westbound at Tudor Street, Newcastle West.
- Lambton Road, westbound at Broadmeadow Road, Broadmeadow.
- Lambton Road, eastbound at Turton Road, Lambton.
- Newcastle Road, westbound at Blue Gum Road, Jesmond.
- Newcastle Road, east of Hill Street, Jesmond.
- Maitland Road at Newcastle TAFE, Tighes Hill.
- University Drive, westbound at Stannett Street, Callaghan.
- Pacific Highway, southbound at Ntaba Road, Jewells.
- Pacific Highway and Marks Point Road, Marks Point.
- Pacific Highway, northbound at Groves Road, Bennetts Green.
Central Coast bus lane locations
- The Entrance Road, westbound at Avoca Drive, Erina.
- The Entrance Road, westbound at Pitt Road, Wamberal.
- Pacific Highway, southbound at Chamberlain Road, Lisarow.
- Pacific Highway, southbound between Cutler Drive and Wyong Station, Wyong.
- Right Turn lane into Roper Road at Blue Haven.