- Always use pedestrian crossings
- Never assume that an approaching vehicle can see you, or will stop for you. Wait until all vehicles have stopped before you cross.
- At intersections, check for turning vehicles before you leave the kerb, and while you are crossing the road.
- Avoid crossing between parked cars or at the front or back of buses.
- Wear bright, light coloured clothing at night or in reduced visibility conditions.
- Avoid using a mobile phone or portable media player (so you can hear vehicles and can concentrate on crossing the road)
- At traffic lights, make sure that vehicles stop before you start to cross, and don't enter the road if vehicles are moving through the crossing.