Ten tips for staying safe in a breakdown1. Find a safe spot to pull over such as an emergency breakdown area.
2. Park your vehicle as far to the left as possible.
3. Always activate your hazard lights.
4. Activate your parking lights in poor light.
5. Call roadside assistance on your mobile phone or use a roadside emergency phone.
6. When leaving your vehicle always check for traffic.
7. Leave your vehicle from the passenger side if possible.
8. Avoid crossing the road at all times.
9. Stand clear of the road. Move behind a safety barrier if safe.
10. Stay in your vehicle with your seatbelt on if it’s not safe to leave.
Remember- Check your fuel, oil, water and tyre pressures (including the spare) before a long journey.
- Carry a high-visibility vest, safety markers and a torch inside your vehicle.
- Breakdown lanes are only for breakdown situations.
- Use a rest area for making social phone calls, toilet stops or attending to children.
To open or download documents, 'right-click' on the title for PC and 'control-click' on the title for Mac and choose an option.
Help with downloading and viewing files
Some of these documents do not comply with WCAG 2.0. If you are having trouble accessing information, please contact RMS by phoning 13 22 13 or emailing RMS.Contact.Centre@rms.nsw.gov.au