Third River crossing at Maitland
The $65 million Third Hunter River Crossing at Maitland provides a new central corridor with two new bridges and about 5 kilometres of new road between Melbourne Street, East Maitland and Paterson Road, Bolwarra.
The new crossing has resulted in less congestion on Belmore Bridge in Maitland and provides an alternative route to the heritage listed Morpeth Bridge.
This new road and bridge provides a bypass of the Maitland CBD for traffic travelling between Bolwarra and East Maitland, and beyond.
- Upgrading the intersection of the New England and Melbourne Street, East Maitland.
- Installing new traffic lights at the intersection of Melbourne and Lawes streets, East Maitland.
- Constructing approximately 5km of new two lane, two way road between Melbourne Street, East Maitland and Paterson Road, Bolwarra.
- Providing a new roundabout at the intersection of Flat Road and Paterson Road.
- Constructing a new 350m long bridge over the Hunter River.
- Constructing a new bridge over the Main Northern Railway at Pitnacree Road.
- Providing traffic calming measures in Lawes Street, East Maitland.
- Minor upgrades to Glenarvon Road towards Largs.
- The new road and bridges were opened to traffic on 3 December 2010.
- Minor finishing works including landscaping maintenance are continuing.