Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) has completed improvements to the capacity and safety of Newcastle Road between Croudace Street and Albert Street, Lambton.
These works were funded by the NSW Government, and were developed to improve the traffic flow and reduce crashes at this location.
Features of the improvements include:
- Provision of a third lane westbound on Newcastle Road from Croudace Street to just west of Albert Street, Lambton.
- Minor widening westbound on Newcastle Road in the median to allow for the additional lane.
- Provision of a shoulder adjacent to the westbound slow lane between Croudace and Albert streets, suitable for cyclists.
- Improvements to the westbound left turn deceleration lane from Newcastle Road into Albert Street.
- Retention of the existing westbound bus stop just west of Albert Street.
- Removal of the existing westbound bus stop between Croudace and Albert streets.
- Restriction of parking along Newcastle Road between Croudace Street and just west of Albert Street.
- Retention of the median closure at Albert Street on Newcastle Road.
- Retention of the existing traffic signals at Newcastle Road and Croudace and Dent streets.
- Improved operation of the existing traffic signals at Croudace Street, by encouraging greater use of the kerbside lane.
- Improved traffic flow and safety for motorists by removing the existing short merge west of the intersection of Newcastle Road and Dent and Croudace streets.
- A deceleration lane into Albert Street, for turning motorists.
Work commenced in October 2008 and was completed in August 2009.
For further information contact the project manager on (02) 49240 260