Prospect to Blacktown Cycleway
Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) is building an off-road shared path and cycleway between St Martins Crescent, Prospect and Sunnyholt Road, Blacktown.
The Metro Sydney Bike Network includes the Prospect to Blacktown cycleway and RMS has prioritised the construction of the off-road shared path and cycleway for active and sustainable travel in Western Sydney.
2003: An environmental assessment was undertaken of the cycle route from Prospect Reservoir to Sunnyholt Road, Blacktown.
2005: RMS completed the section of cycleway from Harrod Street to St Martins Crescent, Prospect.
2010: Blacktown City Council started work to design the final section of the cycleway ultimately connecting to Blacktown Railway Station.
2011: RMS undertook environmental and technical investigations, including completing a revised review of environmental factors report (REF).
RMS have worked closely with Blacktown City Council to complete the design for the project, while also working with Blacktown TAFE Campus, Blacktown District Hospital and St Martins Shopping Village and other key stakeholders along the route during the second half of 2011.
Construction began in March 2012 to complete the missing link in this regional cycle route.
Construction will be undertaken in three stages:
- Stage 1: Bungarribee Road to Marcel Crescent.
Early works starting in March include establishing a site compound.
- Stage 2: St Martins Crescent to Bungarribee Road.
Work in this section is scheduled to start in mid 2012.
- Stage 3: Marcel Crescent to Sunnyholt Road.
Work in this section is scheduled to start in late 2012.
During construction, RMS will keep residents and local businesses up to date with regular newsletters, as well as providing updates on the project webpage.
- Provides an off-road shared path away from traffic, increasing cyclist and pedestrian safety.
- Completes the missing link between Prospect Reservoir cycleway and Blacktown Railway Station.
- Improve route for school children to walk safely to school.
- Improve connections to Blacktown Railway Station, Blacktown shopping and business area, Blacktown District Hospital, Blacktown TAFE Campus and bus stops along the route.
- Three metre wide concrete path.
- Safe intersection crossings at traffic lights with new cyclist/pedestrian phasing.
- Clear signposting and line marking.