Latest News - May 2013
Road closures on the kings Highway at Clyde Mountain
RMS will start a program of mid week road closures on the Kings Highway at Clyde Mountain on Tuesday 28 May 2013. For a period of 5 weeks, road closures will be carried out from 8am Tuesdays to 5pm Thursdays, weather permitting.
The last closure will be on Thursday 27 June 2013.
The road closures will allow for the safe removal of hazardous rock from the slopes above the road, reducing the risk of landslides.
For more information visit Clyde Mountain slope stabilisation page.
School crossing for Kangaroo Valley Public School
RMS will start construction of a school crossing on Moss Vale Road outside Kangaroo Valley Public School on Tuesday 21 May, weather permitting.
Work will be carried over two weeks from 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday. To ensure the safety of pedestrians, traffic controllers will be on site to manage and guide traffic flow in the area.
Work will include the installation of two 12 metre long kerb extensions to improve road safety for the students.
Roads and Maritime Services Southern Region covers approximately seven per cent of NSW, extending from the Wollongong Local Government Area in the north, to the Upper Lachlan local government area and the ACT border in the west, and to the Victorian border in the south (including the Snowy Mountains). Some 95 per cent of the region is classified as rural.
The topography of the region is diverse ranging from the eastern highlands of the Great Dividing Range, including the Illawarra Escarpment in the north, and Mt Kosciusko and the snow fields in the south west, and a beautiful coastline that includes many areas covered in rainforest.
The economy of the region is centred on tourism and primary production including coal and agriculture.
The region's road network serves the movement of these products to export terminals and caters to a wide range of freight and passenger-car trips.
Southern Region manages:
- 2395 kilometres of State Roads and National Highways.
- Funding for maintenance and rehabilitation works carried out by councils on 1655 kilometres of regional roads.
- 697 bridges.
- 236 sets of traffic signals.
Key road links in the region include
- Princes Highway, Mount Ousley Road and F6 Southern Freeway connecting Sydney to the Victorian border.
- Hume Highway linking Sydney to the Victorian border.
- Kings Highway connecting Canberra and Batemans Bay.
- Monaro Highway connecting Canberra to the Victorian border.
- Memorial Drive (formerly the Northern Distributor) connecting the northern suburbs of Wollongong between North Wollongong and Bulli.
- Main Road 92 has recently been sealed between Nowra and Nerriga.
- Sea Cliff Bridge is a local connector bridge linking the villages of Coalcliff and Coledale.
- Picton Road connecting the Hume Highway to Mt Ousley Road.
- The Remembrance Driveway
- Roads and Maritime Services Strategy for major heavy vehicle rest areas on key rural freight routes in NSW (PDF, 2.5MB)
Contact southern region
Phone: 131 782
Post: PO Box 477 Wollongong NSW 2520
Southern Regional Manager
Brad Turner has worked for Roads and Maritime Services for 10 years. During this time, Brad has worked in industrial relations, strategic infrastructure and on regional projects.
Brad has represented Roads and Maritime Services on projects such as Sydney's World Youth Day, Sydney Harbour Bridge 75th Anniversary, six New Year's Eve celebrations, and the APEC forum.