Wyong Road intersection upgrade
Roads and Maritime Services is continuing to plan for the upgrade of the intersection of the Pacific Highway and Wyong Road at Tuggerah. Planning for this project is funded by the NSW Government.
Wyong Road is the major road linking the Pacific Motorway (Sydney to Newcastle Freeway) with Wyong, Tuggerah, The Entrance and surrounding coastal suburbs. The roundabout at the intersection of Wyong Road and the Pacific Highway has a history of crashes and traffic is heavily congested during peak hours. This proposal replaces the roundabout with traffic signals.
Replacing the roundabout with traffic lights would:
- Improve safety.
- Ease traffic congestion.
- Provide capacity for future growth.
Following the display of the preferred option in June 2011, Roads and Maritime Services has undertaken additional studies to develop the concept design and environmental assessment. The draft review of environmental factors (REF) is now on display. We would appreciate your ideas and submissions by Monday 18 March 2013.
The draft review of environmental factors is available to view or download on the project documents page.
Features and benefits
The key features of the refined design include:
- Three lanes in each direction on Wyong Road.
- Dual right turn lanes from Wyong Road into Pacific Highway (to Wyong).
- Dual left turn lanes from Wyong Road into Pacific Highway (to Wyong).
- Building a new bridge beside the existing railway overbridge to accommodate eastbound traffic.
- Retaining and extending the existing pedestrian underpass.
The benefits of the proposed works include:
- Improving safety for all road users.
- Increasing capacity on Wyong Road and Pacific Highway to improve traffic flow and reduce travel times and congestion during peak periods.
- Full compatibility with future development plans being considered for the area by the Department of Planning and Infrastructure and Wyong Shire Council.
- Improved pedestrian/cycle network.