M2 upgrade project
The M2 upgrade commenced mid January 2011. The M2 Upgrade will widen the existing motorway generally between Windsor Road, Baulkham Hills and Lane Cove Road, North Ryde and will deliver four new ramps to improve access to the motorway. The new Windsor Road ramps opened to traffic in July 2012 and the new Macquarie Park ramps opened in January this year.
The project is scheduled for completion by mid-2013 when the speed limit on the motorway from Lane Cove Road to Windsor Road, including the Norfolk Tunnel at North Epping, will be restored to 100km/h.
The local community is kept informed on progress of the M2 Upgrade with community information sessions, regular newsletters, letterbox drops, advertisements as well as signage.
To view or download documents relating to the approved upgrade go to the project documents page.
What's happening now?
Various work activities being undertaken in May include:
- Continuing drainage and pavement installation work inside Norfolk Tunnel.
- Continuing installation of fencing at Somerset Street, Epping.
- Ongoing drainage and earthworks near Vimiera Road, Marsfield.
- Ongoing bridgework at Khartoum Road Bridge, Macquarie Park.
- Continuing work in the median between Norfolk Tunnel, Epping and Culloden Road, Marsfield.
- Continuing pavement repairs, barrier installation, pavement milling asphalt placement and line marking east of Pennant Hills Road.
- Installing new and relocating existing signs on the motorway.
- Realigning traffic lanes on the motorway to allow the next stages of work.
- Complete Tunnel deluge system construction near Sutherland Road.
For detailed information about construction activities for the upgrade visit the Hills M2 upgrade website.
There will be changed traffic conditions including lane closures, speed reductions and traffic management in place during construction of the M2 upgrade. For up to-date traffic information please visit the following websites: Hills M2 upgrade road works and Live Traffic NSW.