Where do I go to transfer my vehicle's registration?
You can transfer your vehicle's registration:
1. Online at myRTA.
To transfer a registration online:
You will need an online account. For more information, see How to set up a myRTA online account.
The seller must lodge a Notice of Disposal. Make sure a Notice of Disposal for the vehicle has been recorded with Roads and Maritime Services.
Transfer the registration. (Please note that for registration transfer, payment can only be made by credit card).
You must transfer the registration into your name within 14 days of the vehicle coming into your possession or management.
NOTE: Companies/Organisations cannot transfer registration online.
2. At a registry:
To transfer a vehicle's registration at a registry you will need:
- Proof of identity for the person attending the registry. Also, if you're registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is an incorporated body.
- Proof of address, for first time customer.
- Proof of entitlement to register the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is to be registered in another person's name, a letter of authorisation must be provided detailing the name and address of the person to be recorded as the registered operator. A registered operator may or may not be the owner of the vehicle.
- A completed Application for Transfer form.
Note: If you are not recorded on the Roads and Maritime Services computer system, you must attend a registry in person and provide acceptable proof of identity.
Transferring registration from two names to a single name
The Proof of entitlement to register the vehicle must be signed by both previous operators.
Transferring and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance
The vehicle's existing CTP insurance will remain in place and will be automatically transferred to your name when the registration is transferred.
You are not required to do anything with respect to the CTP insurance until your vehicle's registration is due for renewal.