The Motorcycle Operator Skill Test (MOST) consists of eight test segments, which measure your ability to handle a motorcycle, including starting, accelerating, turning and braking. None of the tests are difficult or dangerous for a skilled rider.
If during testing, you feel that any element of the test is beyond your skill level, you should tell the Testing Officer. To pass however, you will have to complete all of the test segments. When you are on the test course, you will be given specific instructions for each test.
Points are accrued for errors such as touching painted lines, putting your foot down on the ground during a test, or hitting cones.
A pass is eight points or less, nine or more points a fail is recorded.
Applicants may watch other applicants taking the test, however please respect their right to privacy and a fair attempt.
On Monday 3 May 2004 the legal alcohol limit in NSW for all learner and provisional (P1 and P2) licence holders became zero.
Bribery and corruption
The MOST is conducted on behalf of Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority). Any attempt to influence the decision in any manner, will result in the immediate stopping of your test and the matter will be reported.
The test may be terminated prior to completion. The Testing Officer is required to terminate the test and fail the applicant under any of the following conditions:
- Points accumulation - if an applicant has accrued 9 or more points.
- Disregards instructions - if an applicant disregards any instructions from the testing officer.
- Fails to understand instructions - if an applicant fails to understand the instructions given by the testing officer.
- Unsafe act - if in the testing officer's judgement the applicant performs an unsafe act.
- Applicant inability - if an applicant displays gross motorcycle riding inability in any aspect of the test.
- Drop motorcycle - if an applicant drops the motorcycle, or falls from or with the motorcycle.
- Excessive test time - if an applicant takes excessive time to complete a test.
- Leaving the test area.
Test motorcycle and helmet
Test motorcycles must be fully registered and roadworthy. The test motorcycle must conform to the legal requirements of the applicant’s licence. Applicants must wear an Australian Standard AS-1698 approved motorcycle helmet.
Prior to commencing each section of the test you will be given specific instructions related to the section you are about to commence. At the end of the instructions you will be asked two questions:
- Are there any questions?
- Do you understand?
If you do not understand the test ask the testing officer to explain it again. Only start the test if you fully understand what you are to do. Once you start the test it is deemed that you fully understand what is expected of you.
Throughout the entire test, including positioning, you will incur points if you stall the engine of the motorcycle.
Throughout the entire test, points will be incurred if you fail to conduct a headcheck before moving away.
Applicants that are unsuccessful in passing the riding test must wait a minimum of seven days before reattempting the test.
How to book your rider training courses
- Pay the rider training enrolment fee at your nearest motor registry and keep the receipt, or if you have a Visa or MasterCard, pay by calling Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) on 13 22 13. For a schedule of training fees use the 'Licence fees' related link.
- To book a course visit myTests on this site or visit a Motor Registry or call Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) on 13 22 13 (option 3). The booking officer will ask you to quote the receipt number relating to your enrolment fee. Bookings can only be made through Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) and not through the training providers. You will be given information about the training course and a joining letter will be sent to your home address.
Note: If a scooter is required for training please nominate the type of motorcycle at the time of booking.