Proof of Australian permanent residency
From 18 April 2008, new licensing rules apply to visiting overseas drivers/riders who want to obtain a NSW licence for the first time. If the proof of identity documents you present do not include a document from the list below, the new rules may apply to you. See Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence for more information.
Acceptable proof of Australian permanent residency documents:
- Australian full Birth Certificate showing parental details.
Note: Commemorative certificates are not acceptable (except for 1987 and 1988 NSW Historic Birth Certificates). See the Births, Deaths and Marriages website for information.
- BDM photo Birth Card
- Australian passport
- Certificate of Australian Citizenship
- Australian Naturalisation Document
- Certificate of Aboriginality
- Certificate of evidence of residency status
- Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) ImmiCard
- Current ID document from Australian Passport Office
- Current Australian Defence Force photo ID
- Overseas passport or travel document which includes a valid Australian permanent residency visa. Note: Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) may verify your permanent residency status online with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.