List 1 POI documents are:
- An Australian full birth certificate showing parental details, or a current photo birth card issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Note: Commemorative certificates are not acceptable (except for 1987 and 1988 NSW Historic Birth Certificates). See the Births, Deaths and Marriages website for information.
- An overseas birth certificate showing parental details provided a passport or an official Australian travel document is also shown.
- A current Australian passport or one that expired within the last two years. Validation with the Australian Passport Office may be required for passports issued within the last two years.
- The following travel documents issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade:
- A current Certificate of Identity
- A current Document of Identity
- A current Titre de Voyage (must be accompanied by a visa)
- A current overseas passport.
- An Australian naturalisation or citizenship document issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
- The following documents issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship:
- A Visa Evidence Card (must be accompanied by a current visa)
- A Document for Travel to Australia (up to five years from the date of issue on the accompanying visa)
- A Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status
- Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) Immicard
- Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) ImmiCard.
- A Roads and Maritime Services-issued NSW photo driver licence or NSW Photo Card that has been expired more than two years but less than five years. The licence must display a card number and not have been revoked or be reported as lost, stolen or destroyed.
- A current photo driver licence from another Australian State or Territory or one that expired within the last two years. If your interstate licence shows your middle name(s) as initial(s), you will require another supporting List 1 or List 2 document showing your full name.
- A current photo identity card for the NSW Police Force excluding civilian staff or family.
- A current consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Important: Your List 1 document must show your full name, and the day, month and year of your birth.
List 2 POI documents are:
- A current Medicare card, Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans' Affairs entitlement card or any other current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth Government.
- A current plastic credit card or account card issued by a bank, building society credit union, American Express or Diners Club International, showing your name and signature.
- A passbook or account statement up to one year old issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International. An account statement, must show your name, residential or mailing address and account number as well as the financial institution's letterhead or stamp.
- A telephone (landline only), gas or electricity bill up to one year old.
- A water rates, council rates or land valuation notice up to one year old.
- A current student identity card displaying the student's photograph issued by an Australian secondary school, TAFE or university. Where a student identity card has an issue date but no expiry date, it may be accepted up to two years from the date of issue.
- Evidence of enrolment at an Australian secondary school, TAFE or university up to one year old showing the student's name and address and on the institution's letterhead.
- A current Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) permit issued by Roads and Maritime Services, with or without a photo.
- A current Roads and Maritime Services-issued NSW photo Firearm, Security Industry or Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents operator licence.
- A current photo identity card for the Australian Defence Force, excluding civilian staff or family.
Important: Your List 2 document must show at least your family name and your first given name in full.
|A List 2 document:||Acceptable or not?|
|Showing your first name as an initial||Only acceptable as proof of NSW residential address|
|Showing both first and middle names as initials||Only acceptable as proof of NSW residential address|
|Showing your middle name(s) as initial(s)||Acceptable as a List 2 document or as proof of NSW residential address|
|Not showing your middle name(s)||Acceptable as a List 2 document or as proof of NSW residential address|
|Showing additional name(s) or name initial(s) not shown on your List 1 document||Not acceptable for any transaction|
In all cases, the initial(s) on the List 2 document must match your full name(s) as shown on your List 1 document.
For more information, you should contact a Roads and Maritime Services registry to obtain a copy of the brochure 'How to prove who you are'. You can contact Roads and Maritime Services on 13 22 13 (1800 624 384 for interstate callers) or by email.
Identification documents must be originals.
Roads and Maritime Services needs to see documents that identify you and may ask for additional information to verify a document. In some cases, the item you are applying for may be mailed to your address.
If you are showing documents from List 1 and List 2, your name should be the same on both documents. If the names are different please use the related link to Changing your name (above right). Your gender should be the same on both documents, if gender is shown.
The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Commemorative Certificates are not acceptable, except for 1987 and 1988 NSW Historic Birth Certificates. See the Births, Deaths and Marriages website for information.
One of the identity documents must show your signature and your NSW residential address. If you are unable to produce a document with your signature, you should get a statement from your employer, school principal or bank manager witnessing your signature. This can be done by completing the relevant section of the licence application form or by providing a completed Roads and Maritime Services witness letter. If you are unable to produce a document with your address see the page 'Proof of address'.
An accompanying parent or guardian who holds a current NSW driver licence, or other acceptable proof of identity documents, can witness the signature of their son or daughter.
You need to provide a reference statement on the application form from someone who has known you for at least 12 months and who holds a current NSW unrestricted (gold or magenta) licence if you:
- Cannot provide proof of residential address when required.
- Cannot provide sufficient proof of identity when applying for a replacement licence and wish to obtain an interim paper receipt for a licence.
Roads and Maritime Services may contact the referee to confirm their statement.