A booking fee is payable for your vehicle’s future inspection. The fee is paid upfront with registration charges. It is treated as an inspection credit for your vehicle. Inspection credits are deducted once you book your inspection. It is important to remember, credits cannot be carried over to another registration period or to another vehicle.
Note: Inspection credits remain with the vehicle if it is transferred to another owner. If you cancel your registration and have not undertaken the inspection, you can obtain a refund.
Booking and cancellation procedures
- Make an HVIS inspection booking online
- Call Roads and Maritime Services Contact Centre on 1300 364 847.
- Visit your local registry.
- For your convenience, you can book an inspection slot six months ahead of the inspection date. Vehicle inspection reports are valid for three months, so your inspection can take place any time in the three months before the registration expires. If your inspection takes place earlier than this the report cannot be accepted and you will need to undertake another inspection at your own cost.
- Bookings must be for a specific vehicle.
- You must provide the registration number of the vehicle to be inspected.
- Inspections will not be undertaken unless a booking has been made.
If you turn up late for a booking, you may lose your inspection time and fee.
Cancelling and re-scheduling bookings
- It is your responsibility to advise Roads and Maritime Services of any changes to your booking.
- If you need to cancel or re-schedule your booking you must provide at least 24 hours notice.
- You must contact Roads and Maritime Services if you have booked an inspection for a vehicle and you want to use the booking for another vehicle.
- Roads and Maritime Services allocates resources based on bookings. You will lose your inspection credit if you fail to provide advance notice that you cannot attend.
- If this happens you will be required to pay another inspection fee before another booking can proceed.
- Payment for additional bookings can be via credit card over the phone to the Customer Service Centre or over the counter at any registry.