Authorised Restraint Fitting Stations are a state-wide network established to reduce injuries from incorrectly fitted child restraints and promote safe travel for children using child restraints.
To provide optimal levels of protection, child restraint systems must be appropriate for the size of the child and used correctly.
Research confirms that children correctly transported in the most suitable restraint for their age and size are significantly less likely to sustain serious injuries or killed in car crashes.
What services does an Authorised Restraint Fitting Station provide?
All restraint fitters have undergone specialised training and can provide the following services:
- Inspect and adjust your child restraint to ensure it is installed correctly.
- Correctly fit and install a child restraint.
- Fit a child restraint which requires vehicle modification.
- Install additional anchorage points and other restraint devices.
- Fitting of lap and lap-sash seatbelts.
Why should I use an Authorised Restraint Fitting Station?
- Peace of mind knowing your child is protected with a correctly installed child restraint.
As a parent or carer, you should choose a restraint that provides the highest available level of protection and make sure it is used correctly. Dedicated child restraint systems can be more complex to use than adult seat belts and generally have more steps necessary to properly install them in the car and secure the child in these restraints.
- Reduce the likelihood of having an incorrectly fitted child restraint.
The incorrect use of child restraints by young motor vehicle occupants is a widespread problem that results in reduced crash protection. Research shows that 2 in 3 children are not correctly restrained in some way.
Child restraints fitted by an Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) Authorised Restraint Fitting Station are twice as likely to be correctly fitted as compared to restraints fitted by others*.
- Have one-to-one interaction with an expert restraint fitter.
The restraint fitter can demonstrate correct use so you can be confident in your knowledge in the future.
How much does it cost to use an Authorised Restraint Fitting Station?
Authorised Restraint Fitting Stations charge a fee for providing their specialised service. This is based on labour costs and parts. Each individual case is different, but as a guide the following fees apply:
- Inspect and adjust child restraint $15-$20
- Install or fit a child restraint $30-$75
Locations of Authorised Restraint Fitting Stations:
There are more than 240 Authorised Restraint Fitting Stations located across New South Wales in both metropolitan and regional areas.
Most fitting stations are garages or service stations which offer child restraint fitting services. However, some are based in hospitals, some in councils and some fitting stations are also attached to baby shops for your convenience.
To find the authorised restraint fitting stations in your area, enter your postcode or suburb name.
* ‘Incorrect child restraint use is reduced among fitting station users’ Brown J, Finch C.F, Hatfield J, Bilston L.E. Neuroscience Research Australia and University of New South Wales